Recipes

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Work.......... What's That???

I awoke this morning at 7:30, then carried on with the morning rituals, including preparing a lunch because I had to be at work at 8:50 a.m.  Work???? I HAVE to go to work???  No, I absolutely don't have to go to work!  I CHOOSE to work.  But I'm retired, so I don't HAVE to work anymore.  No I don't have to work, I CHOOSE to work a few hours a week. 


 It's a part-time position and it provided 7.5 hrs of work today.  It's a retail position and since I'm pretty new back at the store, I'm paid the Ontario minimum wage of $10.25 per hour.  Do the math and you come up with the total, minus a few dollars for Employment Insurance and Canadian Pension Plan contributions.  Was it worth my time to work for an employer for these hours?  Yes it was.  I enjoy the work and the place I am working at.  I meet friendly people every day, and a couple of cranky's too.  Some of the customers are my neighbours who if I don't catch up during the week, I can have a pleasant brief chat with while they are there.  So it becomes a bit of a social occasion also.  But when I am there, I do work.   I have always had a strong work ethic.  I recall early on in my work days/years being told that anyone who doesn't work is stealing..... stealing from their employer.  And because most of my work life has been in foodservice, that saying "if you have time to lean, you have time to clean".  If I had a dollar for every time I was graced with that saying, I would be outstandingly rich by now. 

Sorry for rambling friends....... any job I have worked at, I have always given my all and have been rewarded for it.  Sometimes with "thank you" but that has been enough.  The time will come when I won't work at a paid position anymore, 'til then I will enjoy the one I am at.  The wage I make is extra money.  Right now, it goes into my savings because my thinking is that I will live on the pensions because I can't count on the work income being there forever so I don't want to be dependent on it.  Retail can disappear overnight, although I doubt that will happen with this organization, but you never know. 

3 comments:

  1. This is always awesome when people enjoy where they work! I'm glad you love your job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to be in a job you like. Not so much 'work' but doing a hobby you enjoy. I like the idea that work after retirement is not compulsory, a please yourself kind of job. Suits the rebel in me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there!

    I chanced upon your blog through someone else's and I very much enjoyed your posts!

    I'm also retired,have been for two years and I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete