Recipes

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Stoptober 7th

Another no spend day.  I fought the urge all day today to go out and buy a coffee, buy a chocolate bar, buy a dinner from a take out place, and I resisted the urge totally and completely (well at least until this point which is 7:15 p.m. as I write this). 

The rain has started so I'm staying in for the night.  Dinner was leftovers from the fridge and freezer.  I wished I'd remembered to take a pic before I ate it all.  I sauteed some green pepper and mushrooms in a little butter, then mixed in a bit of turkey leg that I found at the back of the freezer.  Languishing at the back on a rack in the refridge was a container of chicken fried rice from last week end so mixed that in with the "red" sweet & sour sauce sitting beside it.  Combined all of it and together with a glass of red wine, it filled me quite nicely.  I DO. NOT. LIKE. TO. WASTE. FOOD. at all.  It hurts to have to toss food.  I am tossing hard earned dollars.  It's easy to toss food when too much has been purchased, but vigilance by doing a stock taking of the fridge, the freezer,  the pantry, the dry storage cupboard in kitchen should avoid any need to garbage anything by first not overbuying.  But being human and not always vigilant, some stuff sometimes does get the heave ho.  Ugh!  Hurts to see it go. 

I am 3 days from retirement; vigilance will be enforced.... by me, who else.  LOL!  Limited income will do that.  I blame lack of vigilance on fatigue, little motivation or ???....... any number of reasons.

I have cleaned out the refridge today and will compile a list to restock on Thursday.  Like everywhere, America, Britain, and so on, Canada is experiencing rising prices for food.  I have already cut down on the amount of meat I buy. 

No spend this Stoptober 7th.  Yay!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I feel much the same about wasting food, it feels too much like throwing money in the bin!

    ReplyDelete